THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Covered with Love

Yesterday my precious friend Jenny came over to help me make some nursery decisions. We managed to pick a paint color, decide on furniture placement, and even go get the paint. On the way back she offered to help Dave paint sometime soon so when I got home and talked it over with Dave we decided to take her up on the offer. What we didn't know is that she would do it today! She called last night and said that she, along with her husband and two other friends of ours wanted to do this for us and could come while we were in Winston today to paint the entire nursery! Hallelujah! What a blessing not to have to worry about that task with everything else going on.

So today Dave and I went Winston to see mom ~ leaving a team of workers at our house to paint. I knew it was going to be a hard trip to make, but really wanted to go and see her. She is pretty sedated at this point, but my sister in law said it well when she said that she is still her normal sassy self. Although mom would doze in and out, we still were able to talk to her, laugh, and share Savannah's recorded message card with her. She seems to be better but they are having a really hard time controlling her blood pressure and pulse rate . . . last night it was up to 240! So for now, she staying in ICU with lots of attention and help. I talked with her surgeon for a long time yesterday and he said that if she continues to fight she'll make it out of the hospital, but there is a chance that she may not make it home. It breaks my heart, but I'm thankful that at least in the hospital they can keep her comfortable with the pain medication. Please just continue to pray hard for her body to heal from the surgery so that it can fight this cancer.

I am really learning how to let go and ask for help through this process. How thankful I am that when I ask for help there are lots of answers! I sent an e-mail on Friday asking for volunteers to take Savannah for the day today. I can't even remember how many friends offered to watch her, totally altering their plan for the day, but blessed doesn't even begin to describe how I felt knowing that I could leave her in super capable hands and that she would have a blast! Then, when we returned from Winston Salem this afternoon we found not only the nursery painted, but the dishwasher run and emptied, our toilet fixed (that had broken yesterday), and Savannah's new bed rail assembled and ready to go! Plus, another friend is bringing us dinner tonight. I'm not sure how we deserve these awesome, loving, giving friends but I am super thankful for each of them!

Today, I truly feel covered with love.

5 comments:

Sherri said...

I'm glad you feel covered with love, because you are. We are continuing to pray for you and your mom.

Marie said...

You guys totally deserve all the help and attention you're receiving right now. Your friends there are truly amazing.

Nancy said...

What sweet friends. And I know that you have many others ready to do whatever you need done.

Praying for you and your mom.

Donna said...

THat was SO sweet of Jenny and the others! How nice and giving of them. I know it had to be a good feeling walking into the house to a clean house and a nursery ready to decorate:)

I'm SO sorry about your mother. She and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lori Sargent said...

Please know that we are thinking about all of you and keeping you in our prayers!