THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Friday, January 23, 2009

Potty Training is the Pitts!

Okay so maybe I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed at the wrong time (too early), but Savannah is making me CRAZY today. I'm not sure we're ready to be doing this potty training business because it is making me insane. Every morning she wakes up saying she needs to pee pee. I rush in and take her to potty (which she is capable of doing by herself) and for the past two mornings, nothing happens. Then for the next 4 hours she says she has to go potty at least 20 times an hour. We go at least 4 of those times each hour and maybe, just maybe, once she will actually potty. WHAT IS GOING ON???

Then we're in the middle of story time at the library and of course she has to go again "mommy, I need to potty" she whispers during the story. Great. I'm not supposed to be lifting her, but what else can I do in a bathroom that is totally not kid friendly? She actually went potty so we try our best to wash our hands and dry (without papertowels) them well only to head back into story time where not 1 minute later she again says "I need to potty" and is holding her bottom. This is ridiculous. Is she really ready? All the time while she has a wet pull up. HELP!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chrystal! I happened onto your blog from someone else's blog. This post tickled me because we have all been there. Every parent has their own philosophy for potty training...some want to do it by a year, some wait until their kid is four or something. Here's what worked for me: tried like you are doing now when my boys (and you know, boys are later than girls anyway) were 2.5, and the same thing as you are experiencing now happened. That told me, that they weren't really sensing when the urge was there to go. So, I just waited about six more months. And then it - not kidding - took about a week with little effort from me. Now, that's just what worked for me. And I spent six months with two in diapers at the same time. But that was REALLY no big deal to me. My philosophy - and I think we mothers can be so pushy sometimes about thinking everyone needs to do it Just Like We Do, so I'm only offering my experience here - was that I stayed much saner giving them a little more maturity time than if I had rushed to try to potty train when I really don't feel my boys were ready. In a week, they went from pull-ups to putting on and pulling on underwear, going, wiping as needed, pulling underwear up and adjusting pants. My corollary philosophy was that they weren't going to go to college wearing diapers. :) Good luck. She WILL get there eventually. :)