THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Grateful

This past week has given me an entirely new perspective on just how big my God is. I've always known that He has a plan, is in control, and knows the outcome of each and every situation before it happens, but this week I have experienced God in an entirely new way. As I sit today in a quiet house, still sore, but feeling much better than I did even yesterday, I've had some time to reflect on some of the ways He has provided for our family . . . ways bigger than I ever imagined.


* The night before surgery was a little restless to say the least. However, each time I woke up the following chorus was running through my mind "I will fear no evil, for my God is with me. And if my God is with me, who then shall I fear? Oh, no You never let go, through the calm and through the storm. Lord you never let go of me." Just the words to put me right back to sleep.

* The day of surgery I was sitting in the waiting room waiting for the nurse to come and start my preparation when I noticed that we were sitting directly across from the Hemby children's Center locked door. Was this the door where the angel appeared just a few weeks ago? I'm not sure, but somehow I had a little extra comfort knowing that there were angels completely surrounding me.

* After getting dressed in my lovely purple hospital gown I was taken to a room to wait for another nurse to get some more pre-surgery info. Next to me was another lady waiting for surgery as well. Her nurse was not so nice, nor were the things that she had to endure before being taken to the holding area. I prayed hard for a nice nurse and that I wouldn't have to have the same shots and preparations this lady was having. Thankfully, I was wheeled out before her with not even one stick by a super sweet nurse!

* In the holding area right before surgery, I was moved ahead of about 5 other people waiting for surgery. Immediately the anesthesiologist, who was super calming, came over and started asking me a ton of medical questions. Before I even knew it, my IV was started and I met Christy, the anesthesiologist's assistant, who stayed by my side the entire process. She was probably the one person responsible for keeping me calm as we rolled into the operating room and waited for about a half hour. Christy and I quickly realized that we were the same age and had lots in common which gave us plenty of stuff to talk about while waiting. No tears this time, the last thing I remember is her saying okay, here comes the good stuff, take two deep breaths.

* After surgery, although things were extremely painful, we soon knew that the baby was okay and once settled into my room I had some of the best nurses in the world!

If that isn't enough to be grateful for, here's how my family, friends, and church made me even more grateful.

* My mom and Dave's mom travelled long distances to take turns with Savannah. They were awesome and pitched right in with daily tasks as well as taking care of Savannah. Boy did she eat up that time with granny and grammy!

* Friends prayed, called, visited, brought meals (and are still bringing them), and sent cards to help me feel loved and cared for during this time.

* Our church sent flowers, a pastor to visit, and even called a couple of times to check on us. Not to mention the many prayers that were said on our behalf.

Then there's the icing on the cake.

* I'm healing more and more each day and am able to bend a little further too. This is happening way faster that I ever imagined it would while I was in the hospital.

* My RINGS FIT!! I haven't been able to wear my wedding band or engagement ring since probably late November and they slid right onto my finger today!

I'm sure the list could go on and on, but the point is that I'm super grateful. Grateful for a God who is bigger than any worry, fear, frustration, or issue I may have. So now that I'm on the other side of the dreaded surgery, I can honestly say I'm grateful for this experience. Thank you Lord for the lessons learned . . . I pray that they carry me through the rest of this pregnancy and beyond.

3 comments:

Anna Morrison said...

Just checking in on you again. So glad things are going well. I love you.

Elaine Shobert said...

And I'm grateful for you, Chrystal, and how you're allowing God's Almighty Hand to guide you through this. You're loved!

Donna said...

Oh good, Chrystal! I am SO happy that your whole experience has gone so well. That is a blessing!!

Can't wait to catch up!