THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"Mom Swim?"

This is the phrase that Savannah used last night as I entered the house from my fourth week of swimming lessons. Let me explain . . .

First of all, yesterday she decided that my new name was "mom"! Not mommy or mama, but just mom. Ouch. For some reason it not only made me feel instantly older (maybe it's God's way of speeding up baby #2), but also really sad. Where in the world did she hear that? It was wild how suddenly it happened too. When I went in to get her from her afternoon nap she said "Hey Mom" and that was the beginning.

Then there's the swimming lessons. Now believe me when I say that if thrown into 10 ft of water I would not drown. I have always known how to doggy paddle and float on my back as well, but I've always just had (have) this horrible fear of putting my head underwater. So, after seeing how much fun Savannah had with her lessons I asked for my own lessons for mother's day. I've struggled for a month with learning how to coordinate the breathing part of swimming with the strokes and underwater part. Well, for the first time ever last night I did a complete lap of the front crawl without stopping!!! Go MOM!! I had already "mastered" the back crawl and elementary back stroke as they don't require your head to be underwater, but last night was the first time I actually got the breathing part of the front crawl!! I'm so excited and can't wait to go back next week to practice so it becomes easier.

Other than that, things are pretty normal around here. Savannah is still working on counting and can finally count up to fourteen. We've been to Charlotte at Play a lot with the hot weather and have several playdates upcoming to keep us busy.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I didn't know you were taking swimming lessons! Good for you Chrystal! Don't worry, Caleb has gone through the same phase where he called me and Russ "mom and dad." It didn't last but a few days and now he is back to "mama and daddy." Maybe Savannah will go back to that too!

Donna said...

That is great, Chrystal! I'm proud of you. If we ever have a playdate at a pool, I want you to do some demonstrations for us:)

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet! Just think of it this way- Savannah chose her own name for you, all without any help! Although I'm sure she thought if she sounded more grown up, she'd get a baby brother or sister! ;)

Yay for the swimming lessons. I've wanted to take lessons, too. I know how to swim, but I don't know how to do any "official" strokes or anything.

Nancy said...

Good for you for doing this! I'm seeing lots of triathlons in your future!!

Anonymous said...

way to go mom! that is too cute- you may have another career option in the making - coaching savannah's swim team hehehe i'm glad your doing swim lessons it will give you an opportunity to teach savannah as she gets older. we're proud of you dad/deb

mrob92 said...

I'm so proud of you Chrystal for taking swim lessons! That is terrific MOM! :) This might just be a phase that Savannah is going through, like when my dad called his mom "Lorene" when he was about the same age. One of her friends corrected it, and it has been "Mother" ever since!