THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Jury Duty

Yep, that's right, jury duty. In case you've been wondering why this poor blog hasn't been updated in a week it's because I've been couped up in a room with 30 other people for four days. We have all been waiting to be questioned to be a possible juror in a very high profile case here in Charlotte and it's been AWFUL! First of all, let's just say that the case involved 8 different charges including first degree murder, kidnapping, sexual assault, and robbery all x2 for each of the teenage girls that were killed. I could go on and on about how miserable the entire experience was and how much the entire jury system needs redoing, but instead I'll just share some things that I've learned this week.
  • The legal system is very complex and full of loop holes. Apparently you can commit murder and get a lesser charge because you decided to use drugs or alcohol before hand.
  • When thrown together under such circumstances, 30 very diverse people can quickly become friends.
  • "Jury duty is just that, a DUTY as a citizen" I can't count how many times I heard this.
  • There is no limit to the amount of time for attorneys to select 12 jurors and 2 alternates. I sat for 4 days and was finally released without being asked one question. The process of selecting 14 people for this case took a total of about 8 days.
  • When it comes to confidentiality, there really is none in the courtroom. Everyone who was questioned had their dirty laundry aired in front of the entire court. In addition, the man charged with these 8 awful crimes was able to thumb through 11 pages of my personal information at his own convenience during the jury selection.
  • I have the best friends in the world! Kristin, Elaine, and Donna pitched in and took care of Savannah the entire time I was in court. They went out of their way by coming to my house to babysit, changing their play dates, watching her several times, and even making a meal for us to have for dinner last night! I love you girls!
  • Being a stay at home mom is my calling and is the best job ever. It took me less than 2 days to figure out that I could NEVER be a working mom. Getting up before 6 to run, coming home after an entire day in court, fighting traffic at 5:00, trying to catch up on chores, cleaning, and then trying to find time to spend with Savannah?? No sir. Not for me.

This was an awful experience, but God really revealed to me how special my job is and how much I take it for granted. If you ever get tired of being a stay at home mom, just sign yourself up for some jury duty and I promise it'll change your mind and heart!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we're so glad you have completed your "duty" and life can get back to normal for all of you. i'm sure dave and savannah are glad also, although i'm sure savannah had a great time with her sitters. you are right- our judicial system needs a big overhaul, but where do we start. i somehow don't think when the guys were sitting around writing the Constitution they meant for it to be like it is today. hopefully you won't have to do this again for a long time. love ya dad/deb

Donna said...

I'm SO glad you weren't the lucky person selected for this case. Can you imagine how long the court case would have held out?! I know it was a hard week for you and I'm so happy it's done. We had fun with Savannah and she was a perfect angel:) We'll watch her ANYTIME!!

Nancy said...

I am so glad you were released from your civic duty. I was 35 weeks pregnant with Caroline the last time I was called for jury duty. When the judge asked if anyone had any "hardships" I approached the bench and explained that I was going to the bathroom 4-5 times per hour and I would hate to have to stop the proceedings so often.

He told me to go home and enjoy the time with my only child until the next one arrived - and that he would count this as time served. He was the niciest judge! I haven't been called since, but I know it is coming.

Thanks for sharing your perspective; I'll enjoy and appreciate the day to day with my children more because of what you said.

kristin said...

Chrystal, I'm glad you were able to learn something from the experience. It made it worth it, even if it wasn't fun. Savannah was truly a joy for us to play with. She's a sweet, sweet girl! Now, I'm not going to believe your stories to the contrary- I know the truth :) Send her over anytime!