THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Friday, November 02, 2007

A Sneaky Chef

Since Savannah is now refusing to eat even the nasty Tyson chicken nuggets that have absolutely NO nutritional value I have decided to take drastic action. I almost broke down yesterday feeling guilty for feeding her so poorly. She hasn't eaten vegetables in over a week (other than what is in the Juicy Juice that she loves), eats very little protein since she no longer likes peanut butter, and seems to be living on fruit. What have I been thinking? Honestly, I'm just lazy and get frustrated easily. I've heard girls in Bible study talking about how they sneak vegetables in homemade chicken nuggets and pizza, but honestly I didn't want to go to the effort knowing that Savannah doesn't like regular pizza, pasta, quesidallas, etc.

So, today I went to the bookstore and bought the cookbook called The Sneaky Chef by Lapine. I also made yet another trip to Harris Teeter to buy some necessities: spinach, frozen strawberries, sweet potatoes, carrots, and white beans. I'm a little anxious about this as I HATE cooking, especially when it goes to waste, but I'm determined to make this work. She has to eat healthier, and starting now.

I tried one recipe when she woke up from her nap. It was strawberry icecream made with frozen strawberries, milk, and very little sugar. I'm amazed at how easy it was. Here's the funny part . . . I had to literally hold her down with one arm, hold her head to the side with my body and force the icecream into her mouth. She was screaming the entire time. Whew. She ended up loving it and begging for more, but that's just a little foreshadowing of what trying new things is going to be like around here.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Don't worry, Chrystal. Caroline ate her first vegetable (peas) in over a year two weeks ago! I know, it's terrible, but she gave up on them. She like sweet potatoes, but I don't really consider that a healthy veggie! Her doctor told me it's normal and eventually she'll start eating them again...one day! Savannah is just at the age where this happens. I know it's SOOO frustrating! You're doing good, though:)