THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'm Still Learning

We are still recovering here as it seems that the antibiotics aren't working well for Savannah. Although they have helped the scrape on her nose, they haven't helped the runny nose at all so that leads me to believe that it's not cold related and we're dealing with either something viral or allergies. She is VERY needy lately to top it all off. I'm not sure if it's just that she feels bad or if it's more teething. Have I mentioned that I hate teething?!

I've spent some time trying to find the silver lining and have determined that God is teaching me daily how to be a better mom. I get so caught up in my own agenda . . . errands, tutoring, cleaning, e-mail, etc. that I forget my primary role here is to mother this precious child. It's so frustrating when there are things that need to be done and other things that you want to be done (like Christmas shopping before the holiday rush) and none of it gets accomplished each day. When am I going to learn that more important things are being accomplished each day as I teach and love Savannah? What kind of example am I setting for her as I drag her from place to place, always rushing around and never really sitting down for some genuine play time? I found this post on a friend's blog and it really hit home today.

Her love is like an island
In life's ocean, vast and wide.
A peaceful quiet shelter
From the wind and rain, and tide.
'Tis bound on the north by Hope,
By Patience on the west.
By tender Counsel on the south,
And on the east by Rest.
Above is like a beacon light,
Shining Faith, and Truth, and Prayer;
And through the changing scenes of life,
I find a haven there.
~Author Unknown(from Being a Great Mom, Raising Great Kids by Sharon Jaynes)
Dear Lord, please continue to help me be a better mom. Guide me in providing a quiet, peaceful home sheltering Savannah from the craziness of the world . . . a place where she can be loved and feel Your love. Help me to be more patient and kinder. Remind me daily that the most important item on my agenda is caring for your precious gift to me, Savannah.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Amen, dear Sister. I am right there with you. I think God uses our children to remind doers like you and me to slow down and enjoy the gifts He give us. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder Chrystal. I needed that today!

Anna Morrison said...

everyday we have to die to all the expectations that we put on ourselves. I am learning this daily.

i know that the Lord is teaching you and I to stop and savor the uneventful moments with our children.

i love you.