THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Savannah's Fifth Grade Field Day, the Finale

Hula hoop attempt one, all smiles
Today was Savannah's last field day at PSE. :(  To enjoy the day I had planned NOT to attend as a volunteer (for the first time ever) so I wouldn't have to man a station all morning.  Instead I signed up to help with lunch so that I could go later in the morning and walk around with Savannah before having to set up . . . but when my cell phone rang at 5:30am and it was a call from a fifth grade teacher asking me to sub all day on field day I couldn't pass up the opportunity!  So I quickly hit the tread mill and got ready for a fun day with fifth grade!

Hula hoop attempt two, much more serious
Savannah's expertise is in hula hooping, so she hit that station first.  However the excitement got to her and she dropped her hoop after 21 minutes!   If you get to 30 minutes you automatically get a first place ribbon (and she has one from every other year), so this was quite stressful for her.  The rule is that you have to try all stations before repeating one so I sent her off to try the others, but I could see the panic/stress in her face and quickly retrieved her to come back and try again.  She was so unsure because technically that was breaking the rules by repeating a station before trying them all, but I assured her since I was an official teacher for the day that it would be fine! :)  The second time she was much more focused and easily hit 30 minutes.  Then she was off to enjoy the rest of her last field day.


Her team competition was in tug of war.  I was quite impressed with her strength as they won the first round and barely lost the second bracket.  Still, her class ended up bringing home the third place ribbon for tug of war.


Next up was Papa Johns pizza lunch! By this time it was blazing HOT and humid.  We were pretty fortunate all day with overcast weather so that kept the temperature down, but by lunch it was super hot.  So everyone ate fast and headed for the awards ceremony.


After awards, we all boarded the buses and headed back to school. It was a super fun day and I was thankful to be able to spend it with my girl on her last field day!

No comments: