THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

A Reminder in Front of Carowinds . . .

This week has not started off according to my plans at all.  Savannah started running a high fever again Monday morning that was pretty unresponsive to Motrin.  She woke up at midnight last night with a fever of 104.2 (under her arm) and proceeded to throw up as she was calling for me.  After getting that all cleaned up and getting her settled back in bed Dave and I were finally back asleep by 1:30am . . only to be awoken again at 3am by Preston screaming/crying standing naked in the bathroom because he soaked the bed.  He has a cold, which frequently causes him to wet the bed at night. :(  

So we've cancelled lots of fun things with friends, postponed other errands, and are trying to stay close to home.  BUT, we had promised some friends of ours that we'd take them to Carowinds this week.  Not wanting to let them down I came up with the "great" plan to meet at Carowinds after I took Savannah to the doctor.  The other mom could watch the kids while I ran in and got the tickets for them.  Then we could leave them to play and we could come home and rest.  

On the way to the doctor this morning the kids were upset that they were having to miss so many fun things this week, but I reminded them that God always has a perfect plan.  I explained that we really don't know why Savannah got sick or when she would be better, but God did know and it was all part of His plan.  I tried to explain that maybe it was because we needed to spend more time at home, or maybe He was keeping us from something bad at one of our fun outings, I really didn't know but  we just had to trust He was in control.  I'm not sure how much of that they understood, but it seemed to occupy their thoughts for awhile and certainly gave Preston more fuel to ask questions about.

Anyway, so we left the doctor and proceeded to Carowinds to meet our friends.  We met in the parking lot and I ran in to get the tickets and complete my Cinnabon mystery shop.  When I was coming out I saw a kid sitting on the edge of the sidewalk sobbing and noticed there was blood all over his hands, face, and arms.  As I got closer a large lady who was clearly NOT his mom, but was supposed to be taking care of him came over and starting yelling "get up boy, what's wrong with you?"  At that point I about lost it.  I wasn't sure if I should cry or yell, but I made  a smart decision and politely asked her if she needed help.  Once she realized that I saw what was going on she changed her tune and starting asking the poor boy what was wrong.  "Is it your tooth?  Put out your tongue."  She said that they were fine and would take him inside.  

I left with tears in my eyes as I thought about the poor kid.  He clearly was in pain and hurt.  I bet he wanted his mama or at least someone to love on him.  Yet he was there with this seemingly uncaring lady and all of his friends watching him hurt.  I think that one of the reasons my sweet Savannah is sick was to send a gentle reminder to me!

* A reminder to be thankful I can always be with my kids; that they never have to be left in the care of someone who truly doesn't love them
* A reminder that in the midst of throw up, fevers, and wet beds I'm thankful that my children call "MOM" and I am the one who can answer
* A reminder that God is in control.  Soon all will be well in our house and we'll be back to fun play dates and outings . . but for now I should cherish the days when Savannah and Preston are here.  Safe.  Loved.  And knowing they can always call "mom".

No comments: