THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Potty Training Process

For months now I've completely dreaded potty training with Preston. I've had clue after clue that he is ready and honestly, I've just been really lazy about doing it. However, last week his school was out on Thursday and Friday for teacher conferences and I knew we were in town all weekend so I bit the bullet and started the dreadful process of potty training a boy. Even though it's only been 3 years since I went through this with Savannah, I feel like a complete beginner . . . I mean I thought we used pull ups with her, but after a day of pull ups on Thursday I knew this was not going to work with Preston. So, Friday we started with the big boy underwear. It was a LONG day of going potty every 30 minutes and a few accidents, but overall I thought we were doing well. Then came the weekend with all sorts of things to throw us off schedule. But my mindset has been that we are COMMITTED to this process.

Monday came and I had a slew of errands to run (6 of them) all before his hour long My Gym class. I was scared to death to take him out just in underwear, but I decided to avoid confusion I would risk the mess and just pack extras of everything in my purse. He did beautifully and made it away from home for over 3 hours without any accidents!!! Of course as soon as we got home and hit the potty yet again, he had a small accident within 10 minutes. But, that was our only problem the entire day. We even snuck in a poop on the potty! ;)

Today I decided to send him to school in his big boy underwear only to get there and find out the rule is 2 weeks accident free before underwear are allowed. oops. Preston threw a fit when I told him that we were going to have to put on his pull up . . really?? I guess he's liking the attention that potty training is bringing him. Anyway, Ms Peggy gladly came over and talked him into putting the pull up over his underwear and he finally agreed to that. When I picked him up he was still in his big boy underwear and they were completely dry!!! We made it an entire day without any accidents and I'm no longer taking him to potty every 30 minutes. Woo hoo!!

I know we're a long way from being completely potty trained for naps and nighttime, but he has made huge progress in just 5 days and I'm SO proud of my little guy! Maybe I'm not so clueless after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEAH PRESTON!! boys are easier than girls - so i've heard! lol
wishing you both good luck and dry pants!
love ya deborah