THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Just What the Doctors Ordered

It's been awhile since I last posted as we finally stole away from Charlotte and enjoyed a family vacation with just the three of us. For awhile I didn't think it would even happen, especially on Friday! The day started great with things being pretty caught up around the house, Savannah in WEE school, and me with my short list of things to do during the morning ~ planning to use the afternoon to pack for our trip to the zoo and Hilton Head on Saturday morning. Here's the short version of how things went awry: between Savannah and me we saw THREE different doctors during the day and made THREE different trips to the pharmacy to get prescriptions all on Friday. By Friday night at 8pm, as I was sitting in the urgent care with my eye pouring green ick I literally started to cry, and not because I was in pain. I was simply frustrated that I had a daughter with an awful cough, an infected eye, and that all of my plans were going to be ruined. However, after all three doctors agreeing that what I really needed was actually to go on the trip, and after lots of encouragement from my awesome husband, we packed up our stuff at 10pm Friday and headed out early Saturday morning for a few days of rest and relaxation.

We started with the Columbia zoo where our Sunday School class met for a day of fun. It was amazing!! Although Savannah wasn't at 100% and I had to wear my glasses because of the eye infection, it was so much fun watching her see animals in person for the first time. Thankfully, since my glasses prescription is 9 years old, the animals were very close and I could still see them. We even fed the giraffes from our hands!!

Then we headed on to Hilton Head for Saturday through Tuesday. Other than Savannah being up coughing all night and even getting so worked up that she threw up a couple of times, we had a terrific trip. We spent lots of time on the beach (which Savannah loved this year unlike last year), rode bikes, ate out lots, and just enjoyed being away from the computer for awhile. The beach wasn't very crowded and in the early morning when we were out, the ocean was at low tide and made a perfect wading pool for Savannah to play in without us having to worry about her going too far out into the ocean. She even made a new friend that she loved playing with and sharing toys with. What a blessing to enjoy some quality family time and not be rushing from one place to the next!

3 comments:

Anna Morrison said...

glad you were able to get away. missed reading your posts. give yourself a break as you get into the groove now that you are back.

i'll look for the pics. :)

laurie said...

Sounds like a much needed break! While at HH, where do ya'll stay and eat? We are headed there this summer....any good eats?

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you all got to spend some time away from home together. we hated to hear you and savannah weren't feeling well and hope the meds and resting have you both feeling better.loved the slide show especially the tantrum-too cute! looked like a total meltdown :) see ya soon dad/deb