THE BACHMANN FOUR

Welcome to the craziness of our life!

Friday, October 19, 2007

New Activities

Savannah coloring for the first time at home

Her first piece of artwork!

Lately I've started to worry that Savannah is being deprived because I'm not a very creative mom. I mean even though I stay home with her all day, I just can't force myself to come up with little games and things to keep her occupied. I just don't have the patience or creativity to think of things to do with her . . . and remember I'm a math teacher at heart so that's my excuse for lack of creativity.

This week, however, I have been encouraged and helped by my Bible study girls. They have been circulating ideas of things to do with our kids that are out of the ordinary. I have to admit that I haven't tried one yet, but at least I have a resource when we're desperate this winter. What I did do though was go to Target and get some things that may occupy Savannah for more than 1 minute at a time: big, washable crayons and some sidewalk chalk. Yes, I know I'm terrible because I didn't already have those things, but I think we're just now to the point where everything (just lots of things) doesn't go straight into the mouth.

So, let me recap the afternoon for you.

* I give her some crayons with a brown paper bag.
* She refuses to color unless she's sitting on half of the bag which is cute and all, but that limited the coloring space so our carpet now has lots of marks.
* Then once I thought things were going well I turned my head for a minute only to find that she had started to color our couch with the black crayon. Hats off to Crayola, it did clean right up with only a wet rag!!! Whew.
* After she lost interest we decided to do some sidewalk chalk outside.
* She made one mark and then found some trash to eat off the pavement.
* Creative playtime OVER!

Here she is making her one mark.

I'm done mommy, now what?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonder markers are the answer to crayon markes. it comes with it's own coloring book and the markers will only write on the special coloring book paper. if she goes off the paper it doesn't show up. a genius made a lot of $ on those. you can get them most anywhere, target,walmart,walgreens. most children her age are not easily entertained and certainly not for long so i wouldn't be concerned about that there will come a time when something will catch her attention and hold her interest, like boys when she gets about 14, just kidding. maybe after christmas her new kitchen will keep her busy :)
dad/deb

Donna said...

So cute! I love kids in onesies!

Don't worry...I'm with you on the non-creative mom thing!! Caroline does love sidewalk chalk, though, and coloring. Crayola makes washable crayons (I don't know if you bought those or not). And don't feel bad, I keep telling myself that Little Einsteins is educational television viewing:)

Anna Morrison said...

Girl, your efforts were not in vain. I imagine the part that Savannah enjoyed the most was just being with you. Don't beat yourself up. You are a great mom and she is an amazing child.

kristin said...

Have you tried the Todoodle crayons from Crayola? They're pricey, but they are egg shaped and are supposed to be good for little hands just learning to color. I just bought some for AK last week, and she carries the package around saying, "open! OPEN!!" Reminds me we need to use them...Also, the high chair is the "coloring spot" since I had to scrub red crayon off of the den table!